Moray Gold Project – History
After the discovery of gold in the Abitibi greenstone belt near Timmins in the early 1900’s, the Porcupine Mining District of Ontario was established. Prospecting in the Matachewan area, began thereafter, with Jake Davidson discovering gold in 1916 on what is now part of the Young-Davidson Mine.
The earliest exploration on Moray dates back to the 1950’s, with the first drilling completed in 1964 and 1965 by Voyageur Explorations Ltd. (“Voyageur”) and Silvermaque Mining Ltd. (“Silvermaque”). 6 holes were drilled in December 1964 and January 1965 for a total of 433 metres, at what is now the Voyager gold and copper showing. Results from hole 64-2 included 11.31 g/t Au and 0.46% Cu over 1.2 metres at a depth of 18.7 metres.
A total of 61 historic diamond drill holes have been drilled on the Property for a total of 9,794 metres of drilling. Past operators have included Noranda Exploration Co. Ltd. (“Noranda”), who drilled 7 holes (808 metres) in 1965, Rio Tinto Canadian Exploration Ltd. (“RTZ”), who drilled 19 holes (3,878 metres) from 1975 to 1977, Newmont Exploration Canada Ltd. (“Newmont”), who drilled 7 holes (1,422 metres) in 1980 and most recently, SGX Resources Inc. (“SGX”), who drilled 5 holes (776 metres) in December 2012. Two of these were collared west of the Fiset Showing in the main syenite intrusive, while the other three were drilled in the vicinity of the Voyager Showing.
In addition, SGX performed prospecting and trenching programs during the summer of 2012. The assay results included 21.80 g/t Au from Trench 12, immediately east of the Voyager Showing, hosted in mafic volcanics and 2.47 g/t Au from Trench 1 at the Fiset Showing, hosted in syenite intrusive rocks and 2.17 g/t Au from Trench 15, hosted in mafic volcanics.